Cranbrook Road South looking towards the Gants Hill roundabout. Photos are dated 14th October 1955 and 8th October 2019. At first glance it all looks very similar, but 64 years on and Gants Hill is a very different place
Cranbrook Road looking south towards Gants Hill. On the far left is Victoria Road which was demolished in the 1970’s. Original photo c1955
Woodford Avenue looking east towards Gants Hill roundabout. The original photo was taken in 1965. Citygate house is just visible, but it’s not possible to replicate the photo exactly, due to huge signage blocking the view
The Savoy Cinema was opened on 3rd September 1934 and originally seated 1726 people. It became the Odeon in 1949 and has since been converted into a multi screen theatre. Sadly the Odeon closed it’s doors for the final time in March 2002 and was demolished in March 2003
Eastern Avenue mid 1960s, construction of Thames House, which later became City Gate House, original picture copyright Peter Rouse. Later photo August 2019.
The roundabout looking west down Eastern Avenue c1937. United Dairies is on Brands Corner. It was a NatWest bank for many years and in recent years has been Tinseltown Diner
Cranbrook Road South looking towards Valentines Park. Bramley Crescent on the left of picture. Circa 1940 and today 2019
Gants Hill roundabout in 1965 and today 15th August 2019. The art installation colloquially known as “The Whisk” was intended to be completed in time for the 2012 London Olympics, but was delayed.